Chiswick Auctions is a well established private London auction house which is quickly becoming a major player in the international art market. With 20 specialized departments, regular dedicated and thematic sales are organized in a wide range of specialties. In addition, monthly sales of interiors, homes and antiques contribute to a busy schedule of 100 auctions per year that cater to all levels of the market.
The main office is based in Chiswick, with a showroom in South Kensington (CSK) and with regular assessment events held in the UK when conditions permit. Chiswick Auctions employs approximately 62 people.
The marketing and communication function works across the company, playing a crucial role as a brand champion, developing engaging and creative content and advertising for specialist departments and the business as a whole, and understanding the needs and aspirations of our various public customers, suppliers and buyers.
The current team of three – the Marketing Manager, Senior Graphic Designer and Marketing Manager – is being restructured and expanded to five: a Junior Graphic Designer and a Content Manager (this position) will add critical capabilities to enable us to exploit the whole range. digital and print technologies and opportunities for an increasingly international auction house.
This is an exciting new role for someone who is passionate about discovering and uncovering stories from an ever-changing flow of works of art and the specialists who draw them into the house. You will thrive in creating and ordering content, and perfecting copy for both online and offline platforms, be it website, press, Instagram, or promotional material.
You will help differentiate Chiswick Auctions as an auction house, deepen and expand our engagement with buyers and sellers, and share our passion for objects and works of art with the world.
Areas of responsibility
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Plan, write and edit content and marketing copy, as well as external communications that clearly convey the value of the Chiswick Auctions brand, tell a story about who we are and create differentiation in the market
- Writing and proofreading with meticulous attention to detail and ensuring the highest levels of accuracy in all marketing and communications activities
- Develop and implement a content strategy including a content schedule that will enhance our brand and help drive business growth and customer engagement
- Lead the creation of online and offline marketing communications materials
- Create eye-catching and compelling content on specialist topics that positions Chiswick Auctions as a thought leader and that can be used across all communication channels including website, social media and email
- Grow our social presence: increase subscribers and engagement levels, and build relationships with industry partners and influencers through content
- Work with the Marketing Manager to support influencer marketing; develop relationships with industry publications; create editorial and advertising articles for publishing
- Optimize content based on SEO
- Prepare pre and post sales communications that can be used for inbound marketing and press activity
- Edit and provide support on copy produced by Marketing Manager for online newsletters, promotional emails and social posts
- Support the Marketing and Leadership Team Leader to improve overall levels of employee communication, awareness and engagement with our brand
- Work closely with the creative design team to ensure brand consistency and visual identity in all forms of content and communication produced
- Review the information and reports provided by the Marketing Manager to develop our marketing channels and activate new ideas
- Ensure compliance with all internal policies and procedures and any relevant external body or process
- Participate in organization-wide meetings, activities and processes and develop internal contacts, networks and interactions as appropriate
- Perform other tasks at the request of the executive directors and the general manager
Essential skills / experience
- Graduated in English, Creative Writing or Journalism or Professional Diploma in Marketing or Communication or similar (CIM, CIPR)
- 3+ years experience in copywriting or in a content creation role
- Ability to produce credible, concise and engaging copy
- Ability to translate specialized information into digestible content for diverse audiences, coupled with a business sense of marketing and promoting value
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills; high level of precision and attention to detail
- Experience in developing and managing successful organic social media campaigns
- First-rate relationship skills, with an ability to develop and manage relationships with a range of stakeholders
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills including first class spoken English
- Experience working on projects of all sizes, long and short term; demonstrated ability to prioritize a variety of concurrent projects and work under tight deadlines
- Excellent knowledge of the Microsoft 365 suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Ability to learn Chiswick Auctions systems, with excellent computer skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced team environment
Desirable knowledge, skills and experience
- Experience working in journalism or in an arts-related field
Reports to: Marketing Director
Purpose of the work: Create and order content and copy for all external online and offline platforms / communications in order to grow the brand, deepen and broaden the supplier and buyer customer base and meet strategic priorities
Internal: all specialized departments; other business functions in particular photography
External: all audiences, including customers (buyers and sellers), dealers, other auction houses, print and online media, public relations agencies
Type of Contract: Permanent
Hours: Full time
Location: Based at Chiswick HQ but with visits to Chiswick South Kensington as needed