Authoritarian. is a Melbourne-based copywriting studio that specializes in tone of voice development, website copy, digital content, social copy and anything with words in it. When we’re not writing copy, we can be found chatting at The Bossy. Type in podcast, and teach our course, Bossy. Copy College.
We also welcome the Bossy. Supergroup, which is really just a fun way of saying we’re a team of freelance strategists, writers, and editors – each with an individual writing style, a certain writing skill or specialty, or a lot of experience in a particular sector.
But while the majority of our writers work freelance, our Director + Editor-in-Chief Alyce quickly realizes that another in-house writer would be very helpful. And here we are.
WHAT WE NEED:
We are looking for an experienced, talented and versatile Creative Writer to join Alyce (Director + Editor), Asheda (Studio Manager + Writer) and Anna (Creative Writer) on our internal team.
Heads up !! This is currently a part-time position, but could soon become full-time for the right person. The role is based in Melbourne, and you will work with us from our brand new office in Cremorne which happens to be surrounded by cafes and wine bars.
This magical drafting unicorn will:
- Come armed with at least 3 years of experience in a similar role, preferably in a creative studio or freelance environment
- Have a natural Bossy.-esque writing style: cheeky, conversational, and creative. (We recommend reading our website + social captions to get an idea.)
- Be a pro at changing writing styles based on clients and writing for different brand voices. Split personalities are welcome
- Be very creative. Authoritarian. values creativity and individual writing styles above all else, and has a creative approach to all things concept and copy
- Preferably have experience in tone of voice: developing concepts / characters, compiling guidelines according to the Bossy. process and execution of voices on all platforms
- Know a thing or two about conversion and/or SEO copywriting, including social ad copy, email opens, and sales-focused (but not boring) website copy
- Be confident in editing own and others’ work
- Enjoy working on a range of projects – big or small, from beauty products to real estate agencies to press releases…they’re above nothing
- Be experienced and willing to juggle multiple projects, manage change, and jump into last-minute tasks
- Thrive working alone (eg, producing impressive work; easily managing own deadlines) AND as part of a team (eg, helping out when needed; collaborating on projects; being a general team player)
- Have an optimistic and confident attitude and a proactive and driven nature
- Come armed with a sense of humor – in emails and in life – and a penchant for gifs
- Possess all the usual must-haves, specifically: spectacular time management, attention to detail, written + verbal communication, and (obviously, but here we go) spelling and grammar skills
Does this person exist?
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
The short answer: you’ll be an all-around copywriting star helping you with all kinds of projects that come through the door. The long answer:
- Write copy + content for clients based on projects and assignments (some fun, some not so fun) including tone of voice guidelines, website copy, e-sequences -emails, e-newsletters, social copy, advertising copy, wrap copy, blog content ad-hoc tasks, and any other word-y
- Help build brands + develop voices and/or run brand voices developed by Alyce and Anna across all platforms
- Assist with other branding tasks as needed, eg. naming, development of slogans
- Embody Bossy’s cheeky and confident tone.
- Advise on sales/conversion/SEO copy where possible, and aim to improve email open rates, clicks and sales
- Work closely with Asheda, our Studio Manager + Copywriter, on each project and collaborate with other supergroupies as needed
- Communicate with clients in person, or by phone, email or video, and attend/facilitate workshops and meetings
- Edit a range of copywriting projects and manage customer feedback edits (with a smile on your face, ha)
- Other ad hoc tasks as needed, eg. Authoritarian. social posts; help with the Bossy. Copy College course content; copywriting for marketing activities
Email Alyce at [email protected] with:
- Your CV
- A brief explanation (love letter) of why you are a good candidate for Bossy. and what you can bring to the table
- A variety of branded copywriting samples, eg. website copy, emails, wrap copy, social ad copy, etc. (While we’d love to blog all day, sadly we don’t… yet.)
- Screening questions answered below
How would you describe your writing style?
What type of writing are you best at (e.g. About Us pages, beauty writing), and why?
What was your favorite writing project and why?
What is your expected salary?
Applications close February 27, 2022, but we’re looking to hire as soon as possible – if we find the right person, we’ll likely hire them before the closing date, so don’t think too long about it. Immediate start preferred. Shortlisted applicants will be asked to complete 3 short writing assignments. Although we would be happy to respond to everyone personally, unfortunately only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.