It is no longer news that the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has advised students to learn a skill and find something to do during this long break. There are skills to learn during ASUU Strike and quality time to learn them. ASUU knows this and has pointed it out one way or another.
For some students, this is unsolicited advice, because even at school they already had things to do. Things like learning a skill, working remotely, doing business, building a brand, interning with organizations, working on big projects, etc.
However, while it is true that people already have something to do, there are still some who have nothing to do, some who do not know what to do and others who have decided to complain and not do nothing.
Since February 14, when the students were forced out of school, no one knows what ASUU has in mind for the students or what plans they have for them. Either you are in the category of those who do nothing, or you are in the category of those who already have something to do, but want to do more, there are skills you can learn. Skills that will earn you money and good experience for the future.
5 productive skills you can learn and their benefits
Below are five skills you can learn during the ASUU strike and the basic information you need to know about them. Of course, there are more than five skills you can learn, but we’ll limit them to five in this article.
- Product management
- Content creation
- Graphic design
- UI/UX design
According to productfolio.com, product management is about making sure we’re building the right product for the market. It’s having an idea for a product and working on it until it’s developed and sent to market.
It is the process involved in defining a product and managing the product. Product management will help you understand what is important and what is not when it comes to the product.
- You can manage the products the marketplace has access to.
- You are able to solve people’s problems by proposing valid solutions to the problems of consumers of a particular product
- You win by solving problems. People prefer to give their money to people who have concrete solutions to offer.
- Project management helps reduce the risk of a product failing. So there is the tendency to record hits at once.
IN CASE YOU MISSED THESE FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE
Simply put, it is a skill of identifying the content you want to create, the purpose of the content, and the medium through which you want to publish it. This can be through podcasts, YouTube videos, blogs, skits, etc. A content creator is someone involved in the content creation process. He or she conceives an idea, creates content revolving around the idea, distributes the idea and if that is what the audience wants, it would connect the creators brand to their target audience or market.
What is the goal of a content creator? The aim is to create interesting content and the target audience can engage, create content that would drive traffic and stir up social media and other available media.
- Content creation is cheap. Most authoring tools are free and easily accessible.
- Every industry can use content creation. It’s not unique to any industry.
- Building trust and building rapport with your audience is easy as long as your content is relevant and you are honest.
- It gives visibility to your website and boosts your SEO.
- You can create content in batches and it will still be relevant every time you post it.
- This helps ensure stable mental health when deciding when to work and when not to work.
- You can make money from endorsements and collaboration with other brands. For example, YouTube gives money to the channel owner when people watch ads on videos.
- Helps you build strong social capital.
According to Dan Lok, The King of High Ticket Closing, Copywriting is “Closing in Print”. It is the ability to persuade, to influence, to engage. He said it was about writing, not closing. Why? If it was about writing, all teachers, English teachers, and professors would be successful writers.
However, it is often confused with the word “Copyright”. But they are not the same. A copyright is a type of intellectual property that, for a given period, gives its owner the exclusive right to copy and distribute a creative work.
Copywriting is a form of writing that informs, encourages and persuades people to act. It could be buying a product, joining a masterclass, using a call to action at the end of writing. The call to action can be a link, phone number, email address or anything else that prompts you to act immediately; and not at a later date.
- Connects you with potential customers on different platforms. It means more jobs, more money.
- It’s a time saver as long as you follow the regular procedure.
- It’s a valuable skill. You provide value and you get paid for value.
- Opens you up to other opportunities like marketing, designer, content creator, etc.
- You don’t need to have a certificate to learn the trade.
It involves creating designs or visual content to communicate ideas to an audience in an effort to meet their needs. Designs can be created using computer software such as laptops, MacBooks and Android phones. Graphic designers create logos, posters, models, flyers. They help you with branding and other design-related things.
- You don’t need too much to start only basic devices. A phone and a laptop and of course, data.
- There are free tools you can use to create beautiful, sellable designs.
- You help give a brand a good and salable identity.
- It helps to bring out and make full use of your creative side.
- You can earn more through referrals. People see your good work and want to use your services.
- Interacting with cool colors could be therapeutic for you.
UI stands for User Interface and UX stands for User Experience. UI design involves people interacting with a product because of its aesthetic elements such as buttons, menu bars, color, icons; while UX design refers to the experience of the user when interacting with a product. It involves how the user feels, their motivation, their environment and what they want when interacting with a product. A UX designer does research in order to understand human behavior and find ways to improve the user’s experience of the product.
Benefits of UX designs
- UX designs have what it takes to provide customers with a positive experience that would keep them on your website. This way, they could become potential customers. And that would mean good income.
- Good for your mental health as you understand the best way to communicate with customers without getting lost in the insensitive.
- You could help make life easier for users of your product.
Benefits of UI Designs
- When you come up with good designs that make your customers feel good and comfortable, they will stay loyal to you, which would mean customer loyalty.
- It could be a nice financial boost for you if your customers refer more people to your brand.
- Your customers tend to stay loyal to your brand if you offer them the best.
- There is a mental satisfaction that comes with having to satisfy customers and earn revenue from them.
A bonus point
Cooking is one of the many skills to be learned during the ASUU strike. It requires a step-by-step process of mixing ingredients in the right proportion to get what you desire – cake, cookies, etc. You don’t just mix things up anyway without following the right procedures and expecting to get a result. In baking, you have to pay attention to detail. You have to decide which flavors will go with which recipes, you learn what happens when you improvise ingredients, or what happens when you create your own recipes or recipes your customers want.
Baking is not a guessing game. It’s a skill that helps you develop how to make decisions effectively.
- This helps you save money because you bake more to eat instead of eating out. Although it doesn’t happen to everyone, at least not every time.
- It is a source of income. Cakes, cookies and other baked foods make people happy; especially the cakes. You could help put a smile on people’s faces while you win.
- It helps you showcase your creativity. It also brings out your creative side that you probably didn’t know existed.
- Cakes and other baked goods are always in demand. People celebrate birthdays, people eat cookies, biscuits, etc.
Learning these skills is not difficult. However, they require your time and attention, and sometimes your money – You will buy the data correctly. Exactly.
You can use free sources like blogs, YouTube, free resources on platforms like Coursera, Udemy and others. These resources can help you with at least 80% of the reasons you need to cover.
These are skills you can learn during the ASUU Strike. You have the choice to complain about the strike and do nothing, or focus on what you can do to make things work in this situation and come out of it a better person. The ball is in your court.
What skills are you going to start learning if you haven’t started? If you are already doing something, what skills are you currently learning?