|Site:||Cape Town, Tokai|
|The employment level:||Junior / Medium|
Who are we and what we are looking for
Yuppiechef is South Africa’s premier kitchen and housewares store. Based in Westlake, Cape Town, with retail stores in Cape Town and Johannesburg, we see ourselves as helping people find more joyful moments in their homes – through products that make everyday life more comfortable, more innovative. and more beautiful. And we do this through our omnichannel shopping experience, providing our world-class service to our customers both in our stores and online.
High quality product content on our website and digital platforms is a key part of creating a seamless shopping experience for our customers – helping them make more informed decisions and inspiring them with good product copy. written, precise specifications and beautiful visuals.
We are looking for a full-time Junior Web Content Writer to join our in-house web team to help translate our vision into reality. If you are looking for a position where you will have the opportunity to learn from an experienced team and work closely with seasoned ecommerce content writers and creators, this position may be for you.
What does your role look like?
Under the direction of our Web Content Manager, you will spend most of your time writing and editing high quality product descriptions and specifications for the product pages.
As part of your function, you will also be in charge of:
- Making sure we have all the content we need to list a new product to Yuppiechef’s high standards.
- Helping manage and deliver our inbound product reviews – an area of customer experience that we value and learn a lot from.
- Improve existing product pages by finding and adding missing information.
- Occasionally assist with proactive category and brand management tasks by researching and developing filterable content and functionality for them.
In each of these activities, you will continually have the opportunity to learn about our range of products, how to sell them online and what constitutes a good online shopping experience. Over time, we hope that, through your experience and the time spent in our team, you will make a significant contribution to improving our processes and help us shape what good eCommerce product content looks like.
Who you will be working with
You will work alongside our web content writers and photography team. We copy all of our product copy, stylize, photograph and edit everything in-house, grafting hard, collaborating, communicating openly and constantly, pushing ideas forward fairly quickly, and meeting deadlines. Sometimes that comes with pressure, but we all love what we’re doing and have a lot of fun doing it. We also love things like pets, gin, coffee, sets, and cakes (basically all baked goods).
Who are you
In addition to having the talent and experience necessary for the position, we are looking for someone who is above all eager to learn and motivated. You are a good communicator (both in person and asynchronously via email or chat), work well independently and collaboratively, and enjoy honing your technical skills. People would also describe you as:
- Calm and confident
The experience and skills you need for the job
- Required: At least two years of professional writing experience, for example working for a high-readership newspaper, magazine or online publication
- Beneficial: At least two years working for another ecommerce retailer in a similar role
- Required: Relevant work experience in writing texts and researching content, and have proof of this in the form of a portfolio of published work
- Advantageous: If they have a graduate degree in English, Communication, Writing or Journalism, it would be advantageous
- Technical skills:
- Excellent writing skills
- An ability to research and understand product content and specifications
- Personal skills:
- Excellent verbal and written skills (English)
- An ability to manage your time and deliverables
Environment, equipment, salary and benefits
Equipment you will be using:
- Various online packages, reporting tools and dashboards?
Our team has been working remotely for some time now. Therefore, in the foreseeable future, you will need your own stable, high-speed internet connection for this role. And you’ll need to spend a few days in the office, if appropriate, learning from your teammates and when safe in-person collaboration is most appropriate. When you are in our Headquarters offices in Westlake, you will find …
- A fully equipped shared kitchen where you can use all the tools we sell
- A fully stocked coffee station where you can hone your barista skills
- Parking available
Compensation and Benefits:
- We pay competitive and market-related salaries based on skills and experience, and a profit share based on company performance
- Your salary is based on a “Total Cost To Company” model and includes:
- Medical Assistance (Discovery) contributions
- Group life coverage
- Retirement pension
- Employee Assistance Program
- 17 days of paid annual leave increasing to 20 days with seniority
Posted on Aug 31, 3:28 PM