Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and without distinction. origin, religion, creed or political affiliation.
Communication and Information Officer MSF Academy (m/f/x) – MSF Belgium – Brussels
The MSF Health Academy is an initiative that was created with the aim of increasing the quality of health care provided by our staff to the patients we assist in the missions. The Academy has a growing portfolio of projects addressing the specific learning objectives of different categories of healthcare staff at MSF. All of these projects are selected based on MSF’s overall operational and medical priorities.
Great attention is paid to MSF national staff, especially in countries where human resources for health (HRH) capacities are greatest. The hospital nursing and midwifery initiative, which accounts for more than half of the Academy’s resources, has field teams offering continuing professional development (CPD) programs in CAR (Central African Republic), in South Sudan, Mali and Sierra Leone and plans to expand to other countries in the coming years. In 2020, the outpatient care initiative also began its implementation in the field, aiming to strengthen the skills of staff performing outpatient consultations in health centers in terms of diagnosis, clinical decision-making and management. patient care; he is currently deployed with clinical mentors in Sierra Leone, Guinea, South Sudan and Nigeria. In 2021, the MSF Academy launched an initiative to improve antimicrobial resistance (AMR) management in MSF-supported settings and enrolled the first annual cohorts of participants in its two longer-term academic courses: a postgraduate diploma in infectious diseases adapted for doctors, and a two-year course for the establishment’s medical managers (Medical Coordinators (Medcos) and Project Medical Referents (PMR)). We hope to install a much stronger culture of learning within MSF operations. Beyond MSF projects, the Academy also connects with health authorities to work on the accreditation of its learning and ad hoc support for government programs.
The MSF Academy project portfolio continues to grow, projects are gaining in scale and complexity, the workload has increased significantly and we recognize the need to strengthen the capacity of the Academy’s ‘global team’. The global team is currently composed of 5 project managers, including the director himself, the objective being to have a horizontal management structure. The secondary circle will involve the technical referents on the projects, whether they are long-term (professional and for educational purposes) or more specific (eg content development, etc.). In the field, the Academy also includes specific positions for the implementation of the various programs in the missions (eg representatives, educational managers and clinical mentors).
Overall, the main tasks of the global team can be divided into 5 categories:
- Project management and initiation
- Project management of existing projects
- Resource management
- Technical expertise, guidance and support for the various programs (nursing, apprenticeship, curriculum development, mentoring, etc.).
- Accountability, monitoring and evaluation for the MSF Academy as a whole and the initiatives individually
More information about the MSF Academy and its initiatives is available at www.msf.org/academy.
Positioning within the organization
The Communications and Information Officer reports to the Deputy Director of the MSF Academy and is part of the Academy management team.
- You design and implement the global communication strategy of MSF Academy: design and management of the website, publications, articles, relations with all communication services of the movement, terms of reference (ToR) etc. for photographers/cameramen, media library…
- You create and edit communication content on MSF Academy activities for different communication channels:
– Internally: quarterly updates, progress reports to the Program Board, etc.
– Externally: presentations, website, annual activity reports, project ID cards and specific proposal and updates for MSF fundraisers and external donors, etc.
– It also involves interviewing different interlocutors at all levels to feed content and collect testimonials
- You manage the Academy’s website:
– You create and update content on a regular basis
– You manage the external consultants working on this file with us
– You monitor the traffic
- You organize the communication and narrative aspects of the fundraising strategy of the MSF Academy – support the deputy in fundraising efforts (objective to reach 70% of funds allocated)
- You ensure the sharing of information on the activities of the Academy throughout the movement by publishing articles in newsletters and internal magazines, by preparing and organizing interventions of the Academy on various platforms and events, etc.
You plan and organize the creation of promotional and educational audiovisual material for the MSF Academy.
- You assess the need with MSF Academy referents and program managers
- You plan the creation of the required material with the videographers and photographers
- You support the practical implementation of registration in the field
- You manage the audiovisual/media database of the MSF Academy
You are responsible for the MSF Academy Information and knowledge management
- You lead the MSF Academy information and knowledge management strategy and implementation
- You manage the intranet presence of the Academy through the movement; collaborate with relevant counterparts in each operating center (OC) regarding intranet platforms across the movement
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (communication, journalism, other)
- At least 2 years of writing and editing experience
- At least 2 years of communications experience with strong exposure to video/photo production
- Experience in managing a website
- Experience building and maintaining networks
- Excellent command of MS Office and digital proficiency
- Strong organizational and methodical skills
- Able to cope with pressure, very flexible and dynamic
- Autonomous and creative
- Strong team spirit with interpersonal skills; able to interact at all levels
- Excellent command of French and English, both written and spoken
- Expected start date: November 2022
- Location: Brussels (Belgium). An alternate location (within 2 hours time difference) can be discussed if MSF has a strong footprint in the preferred candidate’s country of residence.
- Type of contract: CDI – Full time (potentially 80%)
- Occasional field visits will be required
- If Brussels: Belgian contract; Salary according to MSF-OCB HQ grid – Meal vouchers – Hospitalization insurance (DKV) – Pension plan – 100% reimbursement of public transport costs – Internal canteen at fair prices
- If other locations: The contractual conditions will be established according to the station, administrative/legal constraints and in compliance with the MSF function grids and salary policies.
- Adhere to MSF principles and our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Responsibility, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to MSF behavioral commitments
* For the possible other location, the final result depends on the local legal limitations (residence, work permit, etc.) and the agreement with the MSF office of reception in the place. The local contract and the standard salary grid will then apply
Application deadline: November 3, 2022
How to register
How to register?
Please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] mentioning “Head of Communication and Information for the MSF Academyin the subject line of your email.
Only selected candidates will be contacted.
MSF values the diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive work environment. We welcome applications from all qualified applicants regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil status, race, color or ethnic and national origin, religion or belief or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, view our privacy notice to job applicants.