Authoritarian. is a Melbourne-based copywriting studio that specializes in tone of voice development, website copy, digital content, social copy and anything with words in it. When we’re not writing copy, we can be found chatting at The Bossy. Type in podcast, and teach our course, Bossy. Copy College.
We also welcome the Bossy. Supergroup, which is really just a fun way of saying we’re a team of freelance strategists, writers, and editors – each with an individual writing style, a certain writing skill or specialty, or a lot of experience in a particular sector.
But while the majority of our writers work on a freelance basis, our Director + Editor-in-Chief Alyce soon realizes that another set of in-house hands would come in very handy. And here we are.
WHAT WE NEED:
We are looking for a Tone of Voice Specialist and Creative Writer to join our internal team. Your time will be split between developing tone of voice/creative strategy and writing of all kinds.
NOTICE!! This is a full time role, but willing to discuss a part time role for the right person, with a view to transitioning to full time soon. You’ll be based in our gleaming new office in Cremorne, where there’s wine and coffee aplenty.
This magical drafting unicorn will:
- Come armed with at least 3 years of experience in a similar role (creative writer, brand strategist, creative lead, etc.), preferably in a creative studio or freelance environment
- Have a natural Bossy.-esque writing style: cheeky, conversational, and creative. (We recommend reading our website + social captions to get an idea.)
- Have a lot of experience in tone of voice: developing concepts/characters, compiling guidelines and performing voiceovers on all platforms
- Be a pro at changing writing styles based on clients and writing for different brand voices. Split personalities are welcome
- Be confident in editing own and others’ work
- Enjoy working on a range of projects – big or small, from beauty products to real estate agencies…they’re above nothing
- Be experienced and willing to juggle multiple projects, manage change and jump into last minute tasks
- Thrive working alone (eg, producing impressive work; easily managing own deadlines) AND as part of a team (eg, helping out when needed; collaborating on projects; being a general team player)
- Have an optimistic and confident attitude and a proactive and driven nature
- Come armed with a sense of humor – in emails and in life – and a penchant for gifs
- Possess all the usual must-haves, specifically: spectacular time management, attention to detail, written + verbal communication, and (obviously, but here we go) spelling and grammar skills
Does this person exist?
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
The short answer: you’ll be an all-around creative, copywriter + strategist, juggling your time between tone-of-voice projects and lots of copy. The long answer:
- Develop brand voices for clients across a range of industries, using Bossy. process and bring your own creative and strategic ideas
- Compile tone-of-voice guidelines, with emphasis on examples of tone application
- Create creative concepts and campaign ideas, and execute them by copy
- Write copy + content for our clients, including website copy, email sequences, email newsletters, social copy, advertising copy, packaging copy, blog content, campaign copy, ad hoc tasks and any other word-y
- Embody Bossy’s cheeky and confident tone.
- Assist with creative strategy and ideas to develop Bossy’s tone of voice and brand.
- Work closely with Asheda, our Studio Manager + Copywriter, on every project and collaborate with Alyce + other supergroupies as needed
- Communicate with clients in person, or by phone, email or video, and attend/lead workshops and discovery meetings
- Edit a range of copywriting projects and manage customer feedback edits (with a smile on your face, ha)
- Other ad hoc tasks as needed
Email Alyce at [email protected] with the following.
- Your CV
- A brief explanation (love letter) of why you are a good candidate for Bossy. and what you can bring to the table
- Your portfolio or a variety of tone of voice + writing examples
- Answers to screening questions
Applications close April 20, 2022, but we’re looking to hire as soon as possible – if we find the right person, we’ll likely hire them before the closing date, so don’t think too long about it. Immediate start preferred. Shortlisted applicants will be asked to complete 3 short writing assignments. Although we would be happy to respond to everyone personally, unfortunately only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.